kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post

I used to drive BMW because it was different. It represented a company who stuck to its respective strengths and had a loyal following as a result. You say why aren’t other manufacturers derided by reusing things over and over...well maybe that’s one of the ways BMW used to be distinguishable in the car industry. By coming up with new and better ideas for each generation. Not just recycling old ones....like the same engine for multiple generations of the M5, and similar plans for the next M2/3/4. It’s just not very inspiring.
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Because you'll have the ability to put it in RWD, and with the Mx-Drive you'll be able to have even more fun in the snow & rain.

That seems like a very easy conclusion to me.
Some of us don't want transfer case trickery with added weight and dull shifting coupled with ZFat. Make the car pure RWD with the same CFRP technology, and it will have 100kg less in curb weight which will dominate the segment.

M used to teach drivers how to respect a high HP RWD car. My mere E36 M3 came "only" with 321hp from the factory but it never got traction control- you were and are always alone with just a mechanical locking diff and ABS. This translates to raw excitement that no modern car can offer without certain push of a button. (I am not saying traction control is bad; it is a necessity for safety for general public. The car's raw performance nonetheless was always accessible in 90s)

Nowadays it's turned into a simple mash-the-throttle-and-blame-DSC/tyre when the car spins off, which is why I think that the turnover rates of M cars are so high; you buy and sell the car within 3 years because you don't learn different aspects of the car's driveability for traction control does everything for you, and it makes the experience that much duller. Smart move from BMW for sale if intended.
Brake_Late1937.50
tetsuo1111227.00