kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
Assuming you're actually being serious, the vast majority of people buy M cars because they're the most expensive version of the BMW model they're looking at. Same thing with AMG and RS cars. It's exactly why BMW started with the M Performance label and Mercedes with the "AMG-lite" cars. People want the label but can't afford it.

Building cars to satisfy the egos of "purists" is a sure fire way for BMW to go bankrupt. The "purist" market may be very vocal online but their actual purchasing power is tiny.
In no way I'm implying my thought coincides with majority.

I'm saying while keeping the "majority" happy M should also exploit something that is ingenious and evolutionary, something the current and potential M drivers did not expect in terms of driving experience in the respect that it integrates driver and a car equally into the equation, not just the car i.e. not easy to drive fast without learning how to properly drive.

For me there are two uncompromisable components in a car: engine and drivetrain. If the car is MT it should be a very engaging transmission, and if it is automatic it has to respond to manual user inputs consistently fast: DCT achieves this but the torque converter doesn't.

Thus it would be best if M would offer:
1. RWD DCT
2. RWD MT
3. AWD 8AT

Such combinations would give satisfaction to buyers of all groups because while AWD is fast off the line, RWD+DCT will have better dynamics in extreme conditions, and RWD+MT could boast lightest weight and engagement.

It's no question M would make the most $$$ off AWD variant because it would be the most expensive model and relatively cheap to develop and produce compared to a well balanced RWD&DCT or MT, but it is the least they can do to show the motorsport spirit.

M hasn't been the same since senior figures like Biermann or Gobmeier left (who participated in factory race car developments since E30 M3). They are insisting on a new era, but perhaps it is time for the youngsters to review why the older models were perceived as the greats.