08-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #59
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I don't think we are on the same page.

In my opinion, when a rational person buys an M car he/she buys it to exploit the limits of its performance, experience its motorsport root and ultimately become a better driver with more vehicle control. Since there is no place safe enough on the public road, track is the most fitting place to do so it is safe to say track driving is integral to proper M experience.

On the other hand, if you buy one but don't exploit the vehicle's performance you likely buy it for the sake of showing off on stop lights. For these people AWD is optimal because you don't need much skill to drive one fast.
(I don't include active B-road drivers who love proper driving because they typically realize that there is no way to feel the extreme lateral G on public roads so they eventually make their way to a circuit.)

Does it then have to be BMW? No, these are the people who will go to AMG or Audi if they offer better subjective performance at a cheaper price, and BMW already has a perfect car for these cross-shoppers: M340i.

I hope they don't build M cars to feed immature egos. M should build a car that teaches the driver to respect the vehicle dynamics, like they always have.
Assuming you're actually being serious, the vast majority of people buy M cars because they're the most expensive version of the BMW model they're looking at. Same thing with AMG and RS cars. It's exactly why BMW started with the M Performance label and Mercedes with the "AMG-lite" cars. People want the label but can't afford it.

Building cars to satisfy the egos of "purists" is a sure fire way for BMW to go bankrupt. The "purist" market may be very vocal online but their actual purchasing power is tiny.
Appreciate 3