GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

keeping the car RWD is a lot cheaper than going to AWD, so they will go that route until absolutely forced to do otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
BMW won't be pressured to move as long as the C63 remains rear wheel driven.
Maybe, but "competitor" is only one of many product management factors, and I really hope BMW isn't leading from behind.

For example, BMW has DCTs, AMG never has yet AMG sales have grown and BMW isn't pressured to follow suit (until now?) So their customers are similar, but they're not the same, and follow-the-other guy isn't always the right choice. Maybe with a big decision like drive systems, I dunno.

Then there's 'verts which, again, BMW has had a market for but AMG hasn't (until now?).

Further both BMW and AMG have now created their individual lines (M and Merc-amg) which sounds like small and high profit is no longer the goal (similar to when porsche started making SUVs).

Of course another way to look at it is that they're testing it and if they can get the handling right it happens for either of them, if not it doesn't (i.e., the race is already happening). I suppose there are probably a lot of factors.

Anyway, just some thoughts, it'll be fun to watch!
Appreciate 0