View Single Post
      11-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #94
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
AWD does not help with braking for sure.
Glad we agree on one point!

Quote:
But it absolutely helps with cornering....
You're talking about accelerating out of a turn with lower traction. I originally acknowledged that AWD helps acceleration when traction is low, so we're saying the same thing here. I was talking about passive cornering (i.e. grip), which is 100% a function of a tire's adhesion to the road surface.

Quote:
And it helps with hydroplaning too. Why? Because when non drive wheels suddenly hit water, they act like they are braking.
Uh, no. When you're cruising and suddenly hit a deep patch of water, the (non-drive) wheels do not suddenly stop (unless you stab the brakes). They maintain their momentum and continue to spin, and the hydroplaning occurs because the tires are literally gliding on top of the water. Adjusting wheel speed by applying torque will not magically overcome hydroplaning. If you have a more definitive source that argues to the contrary, I'd be happy to reconsider.

Quote:
The depth and pattern of your tire tread matters a huge amount for hydroplaning too - there is a noticeable difference between 9mm of tread and 6mm of tread. While they say 2mm is the minimum safe, I dump tires if needed at 4mm (in fall) since they don't meet my needs anymore.
Yes, of course. The importance of tires was the point I was getting at. Agreed that 2mm is insufficient/unsafe.