10-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #41
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The 7 speeds are not progress, they are merely something to confuse the feeble minded and get better consumption

Porsche puts their 6 speeds in their GT cars, no 7 speeds there.

There is no 7 speed in cars that brings the driving experience forward. The one in the C7 Vette is also garbage

I'm happy BMW has stuck with the 6MT that works well and not plagued us with a shifter where you mistake 5th for 7th like other cases
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
The F80 6MT is not very good. Rubbery is the term that comes to mind when I think about it. Porsche manual transmissions on the other hand. Drool.
Earlier this week I drove my dad's 991.2 Carrera with 7MT for about 80 miles and I honestly do not like the shifting feel of that transmission very much. Porsche's 6 speed manuals are my all time favorite but the 7MT has a rubbery feel and it likes to be shifted a little slowly. Rushed shifts are not as satisfying as a Cayman's 6 speed and nowhere near as good as the 6 speed in the GT3. I'd put my old F80 M3's manual shifter and clutch feel above his 991.2 Carrera with zero hesitation. Some of that advantage comes from the weighted shift knob in the M3 but the actual feel going into and out of each gear is still a lot less satisfying to me since the Porsche is a cable shift mechanism rather than a metal rod going right into the transmission.

Also, the 7th gear ratio has absolutely zero passing power at California highway speeds leaving you to constantly drop down to 6th in the Carrera. I will always, always trade a bit of fuel economy for being able to pass while remaining in top gear and avoiding the time wasted shifting before beginning to accelerate. In Germany where you can cruise at 90mph or even 120mph I can see a lot more value in that 7th gear ratio. Over here, you can keep it.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11491.50