06-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #15
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Great video. You guys, help me out here:

at the very end, he says that the M3 Competition was the second fastest car that they tested at Thunderhill West. The fastest was the M4 base (manual). What I didn't hear him say, was why. Did anyone catch that?

AFAIK the M4 isn't any (or not much) lighter, it's certainly less powerful (in base form), but I suppose there could be some chassis tuning differences.

Anyone?
It can be a lot of factors with that small of a margin. The tires might have been in better shape on the Manual car, the gearing isn't quite the same and might have met the requirements of the track better...hard to say. Pick a different track or get luckier with less tire abuse (or whatever) and it might come out very differently.

One example would be the one time someone (Car and Driver? I forget) got a better 0-60 time on the Manual M2C vs the DCT. Lots of folk bring it up, but it was just that one test (others got opposite results), you could stay in 2nd gear to 60 in the manual without running into the power drop-off at the top of the rev range on the M2C, and 10 MPH later the DCT was again ahead of the Manual but folk keep bringing it up.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23633.50