View Single Post
      07-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #58
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Using the analogy of the Viper V10 just doesn't make sense to me. In order for the Viper to compete and still run the V10 as it does on the street, ACO/IMSA lifted the displacement limit. They didn't alter the homolagtion rules set for the cars to follow what is sold at dealerships. The E46 M3 GTR is the whole reason those rules exist. To be honest it would be compete BS if ACO lets them circumvent the homologation rules and run the Z4 with 4.4l V8. While everyone else on the grid is running a version of what they sell in the showrooms. That would open up a can of worms they don't want to mess with. If BMW wants to sell an all turbo lineup, then man up and prepare the next gen turbo M3 for Le Mans racing. Don't beg to run a car you don't sell. No one is stopping them from running the E92 for one more season, it is their choice to end the program early.
While I want to see BMW on the ALMS grid next year and go back to Le Mans more then anybody, I agree with everything you just said.

If you think that smaller turbocharged engines are the way forward then prove it out on the track! If all the M cars are going to have turbos then they should be racing those turbocharged engines and prove the reliability of them. Isn't that the reason for the M on the back of the car to represent what BMW has learned out on the track?
Appreciate 0