03-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #64
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
But if you are doing just fun Sunday cruises with buddies, canyon carving, and anything else NOT revolving around chores, must-do's, etc. Aka you have a grocery getter/SUV/daily driver, don't waste your money on an ///M. Get a used GT4 (best bang for buck), stretch your coin a bit and get a 718 GT4, or a new 911 and experience true driving thrill since these M's are nearing 90k now with options (AND WITHOUT CARBON BRAKES).

This is coming from a guy who has gone through a LOT of cars recently ranging from M4 to a Huracan EVO in the last 2 years.

There is something dull about these M cars now after experiencing true fun cars.
+1

Because I live in a major city where parking is neither easy nor free, I've long been attracted to the idea of one car that can do everything, and I've been through a bunch of M cars trying to find it. But my perspective has evolved from "one car that can do everything kinda well" to "one car that doesn't do anything well enough."

Eventually I bit the bullet and went to a multi-car quiver: a "fun enough" daily and a real, hard-edged, purpose-built sports/track car. Honestly, switching between them makes me appreciate them each for what they are even more. I've also come to think that the best of BMW wasn't found in the M cars, but the top trim levels of the bread-and-butter large volume sport sedans: cars like the E39 540i6 M-sport or E46 330i ZHP. These weren't rocketship fast even by the (much lower) standards of their own day, but they didn't need to be; the enjoyment came from control feel and exploring the limits of a street friendly performance envelope. But they don't really make cars like that anymore (nobody does).