NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
yeah these are pointless

how can you compare a car that starts at $70,000 to one that starts at $99,000???

Lets also compare a 330i to a M3 while we are at it, same price gap
Did you not watch the video?
The two cars are in the SAME price range in the UK. That's why they are featured together in a UK video. Whilst some might argue they are different tools for different purposes, they are in the same class price wise....(he even says that the Porsche is actually cheaper as tested). A valid comparison in my view. By the way, a Porsche 718 GT4 is actually cheaper, list, than a RWD M4 Competition.

What they don't say is that you'd be Freud crazy to pay full list for an M car here in the UK. 10 to even 20% discount has historically been the norm on an M car, whereas Porsche generally don't do discounts. This adds a price differential not seen when comparing RRP, which is the bone I'd be picking in this comparo. But price paid is only one part of the sums, a factor about ownership on these two cars, a BMW M car is a depreciation bloodbath in comparison to a Porsche (certainly true in the UK). Therefore a cash buyer would probably find the ownership costs less in the Porsche ( maintenance aside) despite a higher purchase price.
Appreciate 0