First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post
I did a quick search and found an AutoTopNL vid with a decent example showing the gauge cluster along with the audible click of the paddle and following shift and "slam" into the next gear. Similarly he shifts at ~7100 in second gear and doesnt run into the 7200rpm limiter because its a dual clutch and not a slushbox.
It does look like it is shifting faster than in the M4, and it actually behaves very similar: 10 frames until the gear selector changes, but instead of needing extra 10 frames until the rpms drop, they start dropping after a few frames already. Rpm drop itself again is 20 frames. With that DCT shifting times seem to be even faster.
Quote:
Also I want to make clear the distinction of "shift time" as being a term for the entire delay from paddle input to actual gear shift. To me those are 2 separate actions and the main gripe is the "paddle delay" from the ZF not the actual physical gear change. From what I understand the physical gear shift time is actually less than the DCT but the paddle delay is much much longer.
That's how I think it is too. The main difference with the DCT in my experience is the instant head tilt forward from the power cut when pressing the paddle and then it engages the clutch more slowly than the converter. In the converter the head tilt is at the end of the gear change, i.e. after half a second. Main reason for me to investigate the shift times is to get back from the anecdotal and emotionally driven discussion in this thread to facts. If you want to go to the track the only thing that matters are the shift times, it doesn't matter if the head tilt is instantly after pressing or with a short delay, what counts is the length of time the engine can't power the wheels. Of course it does feel sportier with the DCT.

Again, to see if the converter is that much slower it might be possible for some tuner or experienced coder to log those values and report back with numbers, which do count more than anyones feelings. Frankly, in an objective discussions your feelings just don't matter (not your personal ones, somer, I mean feelings of any person in general). Unfortunately, there are just far too many people talking about heritage, homologation cars or whatever bs, they just are delusional and stuck back in 1990 when the M3 E30 was the hot shit (and back then they may were right, but things change people!).

Quote:
Honestly I'm tired of beating this topic to death, people are gonna believe what they want to believe.
Sums up this whole thread perfectly.
Appreciate 1
somer966.00