kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Didn't notice lag or any noticeable difference compared to DCT when I was doing fast laps in F90.

Let's be honest, ZF 8 speed will have a broader range of talents compared to DCT. Not to mention having a switchable RWD should offset some of the fun you'll miss with DCT.

When it comes to ZF8, it all comes down to software that each car manufacturer puts in it.
I am sure there will be software updates (from bmw or aftermarket) if there are issues.
I drove a loaner M240i for a week and that car has arguably the best iteration of ZF8 coupled with its free-revving B58. However, it has slight lag from momentarily losing boost with each upshift. Downshift is much better than the F90 M5 I have test driven, but it is slower than DCT especially braking and downshifting into a corner and that really annoys me each time I execute it. Technical differences between DCT and ZF8 are well articulated by CanAutM3.

Now that I acquired a mint DCT E92 M3, I really don't get the complaints about its shift quality. If you drive it like a manual-give it a half clutch respect for creeping- it is a very fast and smooth transmission. Actually much smoother than ZF8 that can't seem to figure out the right revs each shift.