07-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #376
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post
It is absolutely different and it's the reason I'm not in an F90 right now. So much so that I think the F90 is an upgrade in every department in terms of traction, dynamics, looks, interior quality, technology except 2 generations behind in the gearbox compared to my 105k mile F10 DCT. I really can't believe you don't notice the delay in the gearbox compared to your F10.

One of the easiest solutions would have been to make the gearing much longer on these ZF boxes. It has some of the shortest ratios of any ZF equipped cars that I've looked into in 2018 at least when the F90 came out.

The 1 short test drive of the X3MComp I had I wasn't really focused solely on the gearbox like I've had on the 3 different occasions I've driven the F90 (2 dealership test drives, 1 friend), It was mostly the engine note, power output and dynamics of it. It's possible it's easier to shift since it's simply a bit slower than the M5 too.

I just want people to temper their expectations, to some people the ZF box is an upgrade, to some it's a downgrade and I'm in the latter camp.
The issue is when you make statements that you have to pull a paddle at 5.5k to make sure the engine changes at 7.2k you lose all credibility as that's just not true. (not sure why you'd make that up but you did)

You've had short test drive so maybe you should leave the commentary to others....rather than just making stuff up? (just a suggestion...)

If you don't like the thought of the ZF8 that's fine I get that many hate the MDCT and prefer a manual, but car forums are often plagued by people making statements about cars that are untrue and that helps no one in the community gain insight, you do the forum a disservice with posts like this.