View Single Post
      06-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #15
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrt View Post
After a long wait (ordered in November) I took delivery of my custom built G80 in early April. I knew this car was going to be special -- first car that I have ever custom built -- and seeing it in person crystallized that for me. Luckily, I worked with a local performance shop PSI a number of times for other builds in the past (x5m + SC e92) and we have been discussing a build for months...

As opportunities popped up to partner with vendors like IND and others in order to R&D parts thought it would be a fun exercise with this car... with that said -- we installed the following bits.

1) IND Painted Front Reflectors
2) IND Black BMW Badge (Front / Rear)
3) AST Lowering Springs (R&D Version)
4) Titan S5 Wheels (20" on PS4S)
5) Matt Schnell Spacers (10MM R / 12MM F)
6) PSI Mid-Pipe (R&D Version)
More on the way!

some pictures below and initial review

IND bits, absolutely flawless execution. Their ability to paint match such a difficult color was spot on. Everyone knows the quality of their work but seeing it in person is a reminder why they are the go-to for the touches that bring your car to life. The black badging really stands out with the removal of the chrome outer layer. There is a custom ordered steering wheel on the way as well we cannot wait to share!

AST springs, I was actually quite hesitant to put these on. Mostly because in the past springs have never been quality enough and generally ruined the ride. I have coils on the x5m and e92 but since this was an opportunity to R&D took the plunge. I have to say despite my initial reservations the car rides incredibly well. It feels more stable (less bouncy than factory) and planted while generally driving. I actually have so much more confidence in the car. I would characterize the ride as OEM+. I have had a few friends (M owners) drive the car as well and they have all been surprised by the driveability and performance of the springs. I personally would wish the front was a little lower but my understanding is the final product is going to be flush in the front as well. This may be the way to go for many (vs. HAS) at a price point that works really well -- They nailed this!

PSI Mid-pipe, let me start by saying the G80 sounds so much better than the F80. The build quality of the work looks OEM (seriously well done!) and the removal of the secondary cats probably adds a little bit of power but my butt dyno didnt feel it. Lets start with sound when the valve is off -- I like it. As a father (+ pregnant wife) having an exhaust that drones would not work but with the valve switched OFF it is nearly OEM with just a little more volume. Slightly noticeable that it is there but you could just as easily listen to Frozen (for those in the know) or have a conversation without it getting in the way. With the valves turned ON you can really hear the exhaust. It does not drone at all just really amplifies the stock sound. The big difference is you REALLY hear the burbles immediately off throttle. It was a surprise at first as it is not something you hear on a stock exhaust but I rather like it. No CEL or any issue at all with it and love the flexibility to be able to have the stock sound amplified in either setting. The ONE downside with ANY mid-pipe is going to be cold-start. It is LOUD and I do think the stock exhaust does not sound particularly well under the cold-start load. An aftermarket rear-section will solve this but for anyone ordering a mid-pipe just something to note.

TS5 Wheels/Spacers, love them. nothing more to say here other than on 20"s all around with PS4S it is such a treat vs. the OEM Pirellis' (i lost the tire lottery). The CCBs REALLY stand out with the wheels and for now I am digging the gunmetal / matte color that works well with the frozen blue.

Massive thank you to Titan, AST, PSI and IND for helping me start the build and being open to collaborate R&D. More to come!
I have been trying to see your car and hear how it sounds forever. Well not forever but two weeks. :-). I have been dealing with Dan at psi and it’s been a fiasco. Nobody’s fault really. Bad luck I guess. I’ve gone there twice with no luck to hear this new mid pipe exhaust. I’m not going to commit to buying it until I hear it. What are your thoughts on it?

Absolutely stunningly beautiful car by the way. All the way around. Just gorgeous.
Appreciate 1