CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Canaut, what’s your take on taking awd car to the track after driving rwd m4 for several years?
Any transfer case issues? Overheating, limp modes? How is the steering feel in general? More understeer?
I do not see any issue. BMW ///M is known for building cars that can endure the abuses of track use very well, I don’t see why it should be any different with the AWD versions. My understanding is that the ///M AWD is only part time, engaging the front wheels only when needed, so it has a behaviour that mimics RWD. However, based on my experience driving an F90 M5 on track, when the front wheels do engage, there can be a bit more propensity to understeer. The extra weight and front weight bias also are a small detriment. I have not driven a G8X on track, it is quite possible BMW further developed the AWD system to make it even more seamless. On my AWD 992 turbo, I can barely perceive the pull of the front wheels and can get very good power on rotation coming out if corners. While performanceAWD systems dont quite offer the driving purity of a real RWD, they are getting better and better.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5896.00