View Single Post
      01-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #84
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

The F8X is just a different experience, since the torque hit is all-at-once coupled with the DCT. To me, the G8x is as different experience to an F8X as the F8X was to the E9X, especially when combined with the aesthetics for both comparisons.

I've owned the last 3 Ms (E9X, F8X and now G8X). The sound is irreplaceable in the E9X generation, as the V8 sound is simply intoxicating (depending on the RPM, some rumble, some rasp, and some wail - it's like a musical instrument).

The F8X just looks great, they nailed the proportions, complete with the power dome and such. My F8X looked amazing. And it makes really good power and can be tuned to be a monster. It's definitely a life-threatening thrill when you're really on it. But that engine, it just doesn't sound good. No intake or exhaust combo I heard could change the exhaust note enough to make it pleasurable, it only made it louder (though admittedly at like 8/10 and above, it sounded good enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Yup I really want to know how RWD feels , I haven't had a chance to drive it at all.
Most dealers won't even bother without a credit check but I already have an allocation and my dealer has 0 M's on the lot
I have RWD. And I do believe the AWD is a no-brainer if you're ordering one now, because it gives you ability to be a hero on the road in and out of turns, and puts all the power down with nary an interruption. Plus, you can go RWD at the push of a button when you want. I'd marry the AWD with the 10-stage traction control option, which to me is even more of an important option for the AWD version so you can go RWD and still get some ability to have some safety net there.

The RWD does indeed put the power down, but even with the TC on, you can still feel the tires get a bit squirrely for a moment, and then the car just propels forward. But if you just hammer the RWD with all the settings set to M mode (throttle and engine parameters dialed up), especially once rolling, the power still tries to overwhelm the rear tires, and does, but the car stays under your control. And in MDM, you can still get a brief slide before the car catches it, pauses for a tenth of a second, and then propels you forward. If you turn the TC, you better be ready to power slide at any immediate provocation of the peddle. And since the car is heavy, you better know what you're doing. With the TC completely off, the G8X is fun, and sooo easy to drift and slide, but quite dangerous for those with no experience. Once that much weight is going sideways, you need to already have experience of what to do. The G8X is not the car to learn how to slide on, not on a public road. You need a track on at least an area with no other cars and obstacles around.

And hec, I bet people with great driving skills still will occasionally spin a G8X if they're on a track and everything is turned off. The weight plus power will do that to even some of the better drivers, especially at elevated speeds.

I love my RWD G8X, and since I drive like a grandma in the rain, and definitely never need to drive it in the snow or ice, it fits my wants and needs just fine. But if I only had one car, and lived in a place where you get snow, or lots of rain, again, the AWD is a no-brainer...PLUS you get a powertrain that puts all the power down that much better. And for those who will tune the car to 600+ HP, again, then the AWD is simply the best path to utilize all that power.

The RWD will always be fighting for traction, even with "only" 500 hp. I like it, and have tracked all my M's, so I'm used to it...but I still spun my F82 on the track a few times with all the nannies off. Never did in the E9X, mostly because the power delivery is so linear, making it easy to catch and even hold a slide/drift.

Haven't tracked my G8X yet, but I will in May. Can't wait!
Appreciate 2
GGG333603.50
akkando5864.50