PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Thats one of the aspects of M Cars I dislike the most (stiff ride) When comparing to other brands I always feel like BMW purposely makes the cars stiff to had to the sporty "feeling". It's been proven before that a compliant suspension is faster most of the time, it's like they want to give you an impression, when I look at the G80 with the digital dash and awkward styling it makes me feel like playing a video game.
Yeah--funny thing is that it used to be the opposite, and Porsche wasn't always alone in it as they seem to be today. BMW would routinely put on a masterclass in suspension and chassis tuning, with the seemingly magical blend of compliance and performance/handling (of course, it wasn't really magic--just a now-quaint triumph of science and engineering over marketing) they built their brand on. Turns out that a suspension tune that maximizes tire contact with a (highly irregular) road surface leads to more fluid, predictable handling and faster lap times...who knew?!

These days, it seems BMW is more keen on tuning to leave an impression on the average buyer over the course of a 20 minute around-the-block test drive. Best evidence of this is that the SUVs are actually the worst offenders.
Love your post, it reflects my taughts also. It's a shame because the overall package (engine/trans/options/quality) and cost is nice.

I feel like they want to please the "I want to impress everyone" crowd and it's a shame.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0