CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
If the original comment had said there were no 2017 GT3s exported for sale to the US, I would merely have stated the car was purchased in Germany by a US Serviceman and shipped here when he PCS'd. I wasn't aware of that, not sold here as '17s, but it was essentially irrelevant to the presentation of facts. I was correctly stating I had driven a 2017 Porsche GT3. At the time, the backstory was immaterial. My original response was only to show, which it did, that there were in fact 2017 GT3s. My follow-on, which was the backstory, explained whether or not they were for sale in the US as 2017 models was immaterial as to the stated fact, supra. As was RH/LHD.

As I said, I joined this forum to learn about and discuss BMWs. The poster who took a great deal of time trying to disprove my factual statements appears to be a senior member of the forum from whom I would have liked to garner knowledge. He never considered the reality of Americans in foreign countries buying cars that weren't yet on sale here. I was not aware that different countries for some arcane reason choose to model year cars differently than we do. More precise communication would have been nice.
Truth be told, it's the US "Model Year" system that is "arcane". In Europe and in most other parts of the world, the model year is simply of the manufactured date of the vehicle, crisp and simple. In the US (and Canada for that matter), manufacturers can arbitrarily change model years. They often use this to define changes in chassis or configuration.

So, quite a few "2018" US spec GT3 were in fact manufactured in 2017.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0