vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Lmao what Sedan_Clan said.

Hey bud, did you not see my comment re Romania and the rest of Europe having different model designations? No shit LHD cars exist in Europe, but you just literally reinforced my point - there was no 2017 GT3 in the US.

Also, as a vet myself who spent some time in Germany, if he bought a US spec car through the mil sales program (i.e., the only way I know of that he could have bought it to legally import back to the US), then it would have been a 2018 GT3 as the model year designations would be the same as in the US, unless the entire mil sales program has changed in the last 4 years. If your other friend bought a German spec car, I'm curious how he was able to bring it back into the states with the import laws.

And I never claimed to be an expert, and I'm not "attacking" you. But you are also some anonymous dude that has claimed to drive every Porsche ever (even ones that likely don't exist in the US) and then make a blanket statement….. sorry if I don't take your word when I don't know you and it seems like you may be getting simple facts wrong.

Listen, I want to believe you, I really do, but your certainty about something that has a very small chance of being true (give them he reality of mil sales and import laws) is enough cause for me to question your story, that's all. At the end of the day, I 100% open to the possibility that I am wrong.

How about this, I believe you man, your bud has the only 2017 EU spec GT3 in existence in the US. He should hold that car forever because it's going to be worth insane money in 5-10 years.

Happy you joined the forum, and generally we are all good respectful guys, but you came in hot without the context you have finally provided that if true, would make your buddy's car one of the rarest GT3s in the US.

Edit: Listen, you can ignore much of the above. The best part of owning a Porsche or a BMW is the community. I too have been excited about a new car and gotten on the forums just to come across a bunch of asshats and dicks that ruined the forum experience for me in the past and my enjoyment of the community. So I get it, and that feeling sucks. So, I truly do apologize if that's how you feel; I really do. At the same, I've also learned that people will challenge your statements online, and when I'm wrong to own up to it (not saying you are here), and when I'm right, meh let it roll off my shoulder because at the end of the day some forum shouldn't ruin your day. But the internet is a cesspool of negativity it just is. If you go through my past posts in other threads you will see where I admit I'm an idiot or said something wrong, and you will also see big gaps of times where I have needed to step away from all the nastiness on here. I go through cycles. So sorry bud, didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome.
Thank you for the response. Cars purchased in Europe spec by US Military can be shipped to the US--duty free, so long as they meet the requirements set by the DoT and EPA, which the car clearly did. To a somewhat lesser degree, it applies to any American working overseas, but with tighter regs. I imagine he had to do some DoT stuff--Europeans are clear marker light happy, and they have to be amber/red under DoT regs for example. Servicemen can buy US cars through the program you mentioned of course--which is generally a good deal, but can also buy locally if allowed under the Status of Forces Agreement--which Germany has with umpteen US Military personnel there. To remain duty free, he had to not sell it for a period of 1 year. I doubt he minded waiting with the great driving roads in Utah/western CO. As to Porsches I've driven, it's about 5-6 or so--hardly everyone ever built...The oldest was the 993; newest the GT3. I did have a neighbor in Houston who owned a 959, but never drove it as it was a sacred object to him. You raise an interesting point about model years. I honestly don't know if it was titled as a '17 or '18 in Utah. I only know it was a '17 when purchased in 2017 and that's how my friend referred to it. If he still had it, I'd ask him to check the title. I'm pretty sure he sold it as a '17, though. It went to a Porsche dealer when he had to downsize his collection.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful and friendly response. I joined the forum to learn and contribute. The fact is I know a whole lot more about Porsches, although a Corvette guy, than BMWs. Hope to improve that.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00