View Single Post
      01-20-2022, 11:43 AM   #19
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Interesting point that BMW's pricing for M3/M4 extended warranties are the same as for the 3/4 series. Is that true? It's certainly not true for their maintenance products. (just look at bmwusa.com, pricing is on there) The Ms cost more than the 3/4.

Yeah, these threads always have people chiming in with their anecdotal stories of how the warranty saved them. Still stand by that, over time, on average you win by not buying the warranties. How do I know that? The huge profitably of those products.

You're still alive, so you don't know what your lifetime profit/loss will be yet.

To be clear, all warranties and insurance products work this way. My personal strategy is to only insure big losses, and I do so for peace of mind, not because I think my expected value is positive. I really hope I lose money on my life insurance, for sure!!

Anyway, I'm not saying it's bad to get them, just don't think you've got it all figured out and will save money on it. That's it. This shouldn't even be something controversial.
I don’t know for fact how ESC pricing compares between non-M and M 3/4 series. But I know that the ESC would have cost the same for a stripped, no-option M3, as for my relatively loaded one (with five figures of optional equipment they need to stand behind). And I also know that either the M2C ESC was priced too high, or the G80 too low, relative to one another (at least when comparing the cost of the vehicles, and options that can break and need to be fixed/replaced), between my actual 2020 and my new 2022. In millions of cars and ESCs, BMW clearly wins mathematically. In individual situations, not always.

It’s all good!! I’m not going to pretend that always-buy is the right answer for everyone. But I always stand up and say that never-buy is also not the right answer for everyone.
Appreciate 1