View Single Post
      03-07-2021, 05:06 AM   #54
TheStanman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
And will most likely be the last non electric/hybrid.

All the people complaining are stuck in the past (not saying it's a bad thing) but the truth is sticks have been dying for years, small fraction of sales are manual transmission now, sports cars and super cars. Gas engines are next to die and it's coming quicker than people think. Look at Mercedes, Audi and Porsche will be next and I bet BMW is last to fall of the Europeans. Jaguar and Volvo already said they are going all electric sooner than later.
Audi and Mercedes are definitely fully embracing the future of vehicles. Porsche is taking a dual-pronged approach, making the best driving EVs and "old-school cars" (NA, dual-clutch/manual, minimal weight gain). I feel like BMW is kind of floundering in the middle, doing neither side particularly well.

Their EVs are subpar, largely because they're not investing in dedicated EV platform. And they've alienated the "old school" enthusiast offerings due to numb feeling cars, big weight gain, and abandoning bespoke components like DCT. I do appreciate the manual but that's mostly just a carry-over.

It's going to be really interesting to see how all this plays out over the next decade and what approach is most successful.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25084.50