10-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #1198
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
In New York State, we are not legally compelled to inform law enforcement that we are carrying CCW unless specifically asked. There is a surprisingly large sentiment among CCW holders that they should not volunteer this information. My thought is to always hand over my CCW with my driver's license, even if I'm not carrying at the time. The vetting process to get an unrestricted CCW in New York State is insane, and merely having the card is a pretty good indicator that the holder is not a huge threat to the officer.

If I were writing the police license/warrant search computer system, you can bet that I would have it pop up in big, red, flashing letters that a person had a CCW per the state's database. Don't know if their real-life system does this, but it seems like only bad things can happen if an officer finds out from the computer and not during their initial contact. Plus, if you don't inform, they ask you to get out of the car, and discover your CCW, you will probably wind up at the business end of about six officer's service weapons within 30 seconds of a call for backup.

The way that I see it, nothing good can come from not voluntarily informing the officer of your CCW.....
100% agree. I find it really stupid not to tell an officer you are carrying, ESPECIALLY considering we can (...and often do) pull people out of the car for no reason at all to pat search for weapons. Finding a gun on someone who didn't disclose it is going to result in that person having a bad day. At the very least they will be detained in cuffs in the back of a patrol car pending investigation. At worse, that person will have guns aimed in their direction. It really is stupid CCW culture to hold a position of withholding information from law enforcement.

California residents aren't compelled to disclose, but they are recommended to do so. I pat search for weapons much of the time......and often at random. People need to realize an officer needs no justification at all to pull people out of vehicles to pat search for weapons. If I find a gun on somebody legally able to carry and who didn't disclose, I'm going to be pissed. I will have a mouthful of shit to say. It's a stupid way to put yourself in a position to get shot.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615143.50
Dang3r12508.50