View Single Post
      07-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #89
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
It would seem to me that a shift speed measurement should be a measurement of the time between the selection of the gear and the engagement of the gear.

When Audi and other manufacturers are claiming 60ms shift times how are they arriving at that figure?
I really don't know how they measured this, but there's a clear discrepancy between the figure they advertised and my experience when driving the cars (this was admittedly about 10 years ago when I was given an Audi TT loaner car with the DSG gearbox).

One possibility is that the additional lag was needed for rev matching and so there might be some conditions where the lag was minimal - so maybe you can measure the 'golden shift' ;-)

Or perhaps they just quote how long it takes for the mechanical parts of the gearbox to do their job, ignoring the software issues?

Either way, nothing makes you feel more detached from the driving experience than pulling a shift paddle and the car making it clear that it will change gear whenever it feels like it. The M-DCT doesn't have this problem and is the first automatic transmission I ever enjoyed driving.

Edit: The Wikipedia page for the VW/Audi DSG claims 8ms (!) for upshifts and "a consistent 600ms" for downshifts due to rev matching. I don't personally recall any consistency - but perhaps the difference between upshifts and downshifts partly explained my frustrations.

Last edited by pbar; 07-12-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0