View Single Post
      09-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #112
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
My question is: do you really want to add 300 lbs of weight and ZF slushbox to possibly the nimblest car in the segment to aid people who can't drive?

The following shows clearly his make-it-like-audi philosophy Frank had to say regarding the upcoming M5. This is the same director who ditched DCT on the current RS5 for ZF8 in the development stage because "the torque is too much." If you think about why you would need more torque, it is because the car is heavier. xDrive and ZF will always go together(+cost cutting) for this reason:

‘I remember talking to journalists at the Detroit motor show, and saying to them “600Nm and 600bhp only on the rear wheels – that’s not fun.” I had a lot of comments on the internet – “how could you say that!” But we knew, because we had a prototype [in testing], you can [still] always drive like a rear-wheel-drive car – but you have the advantage of the [driven] front axle when the rear is [over-] rotating.’

I personally hate manufacturers building cars that people can take the performance for granted but I understand such is needed for most cars. Not in an M.