Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Weight has to do with traction. Hence your qualification of weight over axles.

And are you seriously comparing a McLaren tire to the tires that come on M3s? Arent the P1 tires a couple grand each? The 650s is not much different. Not to mention the fact that the engine is literally over the rear axle that needs the traction, which matters more anyway in this example. Come on man, apples to oranges.

When BMW wants make a rear engine M3 and M5 then we can compare them.

We can agree to disagree thats fine.
Again... you skipped my Z06 comment... a 650 hp / 650 lb ft car that weighs ~3400 lbs that has less traction issues than the m3... you are going to argue different class of car / much wider tires... I am going to say obviously and say again the car weighs 3400 lbs... perhaps the issue isn't really weight...
And you overlooked mine. Z06 also has different tires and a completely different traction management system than the M3. Take off the nannies and the Z06 spins like a whore too. Hell my Camaro spins like nuts. I mean the Chevy track management system even limits power in the first two gears, because weight to power ratio matters.

Weight and tires make a huge difference. If the M3 or Z06 had AWD you bet your ass traction would not be that bad of an issue.

I mean come on, AWD cars are faster off of the line because traction control issues are minimum. Look at the GTR, arguably the best track car out right now.

I never said weight has to be the be all end all, but weight and tires matter, light car or not. That is just physics. For usable power traction on a light car AWD makes sense. In the absence of AWD then it is really really really expensive tires that last what 3k miles? Okay.

Im by no means an AWD fanboy bc I love RWD. But when things make practical sense they make sense.

Listen, you got your opinions, I get that, but you didnt say it may or may not be weight. You literally said that weight makes zero difference that is just not accurate. So we agree other things matter. Let us just leave it at that. We are practically saying the same thing.

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0