12-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #25
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
That really depends on how you define "better," which is ultimately only something only you can decide for yourself.

But to my tastes--which seem to align somewhat with yours, based on what you've said--yes. The Macan has a shorter wheelbase, a wider track, much better steering feedback, PDK instead of the tepid ZF8 (what I would do for a MT in both, but even in that hypothetical case you'd be putting Porsche's overtly precise and mechanical boxes against BMW's perpetually rubbery throws and vague clutch uptake; same outcome), and mechanical instrumentation (augmented with a digital in-dash display that offers exactly what you actually need and nothing else); it's just more focused, driver-centric, and visceral in the ways that I think matter. Both could use more charismatic engines, but as-is it's a wash.

While I wish the Macan was a sedan--or that Porsche made a sedan in that size--I wouldn't even say the higher CoG is necessarily a negative for the sort of spirited driving that most people actually do. You'll feel more of the forces that the car is generating when you're flinging it around a bit (I actually preferred the M5C over the M8C on track for exactly that reason; the seating position is higher and farther forward which makes a significant difference in otherwise isolated/numb vehicles like those).
I have said this recently too. I wish Porsche made a real M3 sized sedan.
Appreciate 1
akhbhaat180.50