12-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Seriously? I've heard great things about the Macan. But it drives better than the M340i?
That really depends on how you define "better," which is ultimately only something only you can decide for yourself.

But to my tastes--which seem to align somewhat with yours, based on what you've said--yes. The Macan has a shorter wheelbase, a wider track, much better steering feedback, PDK instead of the tepid ZF8 (what I would do for a MT in both, but even in that hypothetical case you'd be putting Porsche's overtly precise and mechanical boxes against BMW's perpetually rubbery throws and vague clutch uptake; same outcome), and mechanical instrumentation (augmented with a digital in-dash display that offers exactly what you actually need and nothing else); it's just more focused, driver-centric, and visceral in the ways that I think matter. Both could use more charismatic engines, but as-is it's a wash.

While I wish the Macan was a sedan--or that Porsche made a sedan in that size--I wouldn't even say the higher CoG is necessarily a negative for the sort of spirited driving that most people actually do. You'll feel more of the forces that the car is generating when you're flinging it around a bit (I actually preferred the M5C over the M8C on track for exactly that reason; the seating position is higher and farther forward which makes a significant difference in otherwise isolated/numb vehicles like those).

Last edited by akhbhaat; 12-03-2020 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0