Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullptr_001 View Post
Hi,
**Mod please delete if it's inappropriate to post a g20 in this forum**

So it's actually a g20 I picked up last Wednesday. I'm posting in the G80 forum since it's more active (and because I'm desperate now )

It was raining heavily in the bay area yesterday, and unfortunately, my car hydroplaned and hit the guardrail on the driver's side. I will go through insurance since it's a brand new car and I really want to get the best fix. It's my first accident since I got my DL in the US. I'd appreciate your advice on what to do next:
1. I can go to the dealership's certified collision center: https://www.bmwofmountainview.com/collision-center.htm They will definitely use the OEM parts to fix the car but my concern is the collision center got bad reviews on Yelp (e.g. unresponsive, unprofessional fix, etc.). The collision center doesn't solely work on BMWs although it does get listed on BMW's certified collision center list.
2. Or I can go to a non-certified body shop. I searched some on Yelp and they got really good reviews. They also said they will use the OEM parts. My concern is whether I can trust them with using the OEM parts and whether they're familiar enough with BMW cars (e.g. replace a door).

Could you give me some advice on where to go? Would also appreciate recommendations of body shops in the south bay area.

Thanks!
It's a bit complex, but most of the time, you can get non-OEM parts and be fine. I'll explain.

Take your headlight. It probably says "BMW" somewhere on the bracket for it once you open the hood. But of course, That headlight isn't actually made by BMW, but a third party like Hella or Bosch.

BMW buys these parts and stamps their logo on it. Now it's an "official" BMW part.

But many times, shops can go directly to the manufacture and get the same exact headlight, minus the BMW logo, for much cheaper. It's the same exact part, minus the BMW price.

So, discuss what the shop plans to use before bringing the car in, as even a shop that's not BMW "certified" will often be fine.