07-14-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
zilan23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post

That's not how I read it. My understanding for the NA market was if you buy a car with an option there are no subscription fees. If the car isn't purchased with an option, you can purchase a trial (so long as it can be activated via software) of a feature and if you like it you can then buy it outright, without a subscription.
That is how I read it too. For things like the drive recorder and remote engine start, if you don't order it with the car you can try it out and if you like it, you can buy it outright to have it permanently. I play with the online configurator a lot and noticed you can pay $100 for the drive recorder at the time of purchase or you can opt not to have it and add it later if you wish. My mom has an X3 M40i and when I built her car for her, we chose not to include the drive recorder but when I log into her account on the Connected Drive store there's the option to try it out for free for a month and then there's the option to purchase it outright. Same thing (sorta) with traffic camera information. You can try it free for a month and if you like it you can pay $25 to have it for a year (used to be 15 months). Remote engine start doesn't seem to have an option to try it out though..it's all or nothing and I noticed the price went up $10 to $330. I also noticed that it's cheaper to add options at the time of build than it is to add them later. For example, remote engine start is $300 if you include it in at time of purchase; $330 if you add it later.