View Single Post
      01-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

I have a Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual and a brand new M3 Base Manual now (GTS has basically the same engine, slightly detuned to 200 less RPM). I have a Spyder on order. I have driven GT4's and Spyders multiple times, including in 90 minute sessions on track at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.

For the criteria of "I will primarily use the car on curvy country roads and may take to a track sparingly" - no question, the Spyder. It is a much more "special" car for those weekend country road drives. It is probably one of the most special cars on the market right now, that naturally aspirated 4.0L is a terrific engine. That chassis is incredible with regards to handling on country roads and on a track.

With regards to the 911 comment above, a 911 is a LOT more like a G8x than the Spyder is. Turbocharged versus NA, and the 911 has become bigger and heavier and much more so a sporty GT car than a pure Sportscar, which is the case for an M4 as well. It does deserve to be compared, except for price, a well equipped 992 911 is in an entirely different price range, especially in S or GTS trim.

The 718 4.0's are in my opinion (and Chris Harris') more fun to drive than any 911 short of a GT3, especially on public roads at reasonable speeds, get bang for the buck in that regard.

Spyder allocations are VERY tough to come by right now. Expect also to pay a $10-25K ADM if you do find one. I had to pay an ADM for my order.

Per the comment above, the Spyder will hold its value incredibly well, especially if this turns out to be the last 718 generation with an NA Flat6. That would more than offset any ADM paid, in the longer term.

One minor note - the Spyder has a very low front-end fascia and no option for a nose lift. That is probably the biggest challenge with the Spyder for any attempt to daily drive it. Thus best left to Weekend Drives and Track use.

The M3/M4 makes for a GREAT Daily Driver, even in a Manual, at least for me.

Good luck with your choice! Both are amazing cars, in their own ways...
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00