Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Social media presence is a massive part of consumer business now whether you like it or not...
I have no issue with using social media for promoting a product. It is how it is used for the M3/4 I have issues with. It is telling me I am no longer the target audience for this product.
That's not what they are saying.

The different segments of the target audience are reached in different ways:

Customer Acquisition/Growth: Social media helps bring new people to the brand which is clearly their goal here. Gets younger people and potential new customers to desire a BMW.

Customer Loyalty/Retention is done via more traditional methods. Dealer Communications, Performance Driving School, BMW CCA, Invites to preview new vehicles before announcement, loyalty incentives etc

You're clearly not in the first segment and that's OK. Not all content and messaging is meant to resonate with everyone and nor should it try.

Sincerely, a marketing guy
agree with your take from a marketing perspective.. its a bit different with the new M3 & 4 isn't it?. BMW couldn't start neutral as the grills/ design was notorious and comprehensively grilled by many for months. they had to push harder than usual with marketing. was observed with first view reviews in the UK by Mat Watson, Top Gear guy, Joe Achilles etc. they were so obviously talking about the looks and how great it is in person. it seemed scripted and almost too obvious that they had to say that to get a chance to be there and review.

and now BMW allowing this instagram lady to actually drive (first reviewer i think) and give us a review, who has no clue about what M really stands for and reads out a few stats from googling. why not Chris harris or the other regulars?

well, performance is another thing and these 2 might be great cars. but BMW is definitely trying too hard with marketing for these two cars in my humble opinion.

time will tell how it all pans out!
Appreciate 2