Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "JSTDR1V;28497214"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "MadBimmeRad;28496458"
Maybe @poochie, maybe

But let me tell you a story that might make it easier for you to understand why I would gladly buy one at a drop of a hat:

In 2006, I paid $7500 for a single 20¢ coin that was minted in the same year.

Why, I hear you ask my canine friend. I purchased the coin because it was minted in error and there were only 25 of them in the entire world.

I don't care if the only difference between the M4 and M4 CSL is the badge, if I'm one of only a thousand people on the plant, full of 8 billion people, I'd buy two of them if I could.

That should make it clear for you and remove the need to badger BMW about how good or badass the car is, how much or how little change there is; it's perception baby, it perception.

Live with it or, get out of the way of those who are willing to live with it

Now that I've lit the fuse, I'll stand back and watch the fireworks from the distance 😜

You paid $7,500 for a coin? You know you can get them for free at the bank if you trade in the regular paper money right?

Sometimes you can go to a store and give them paper money, and they will return you coins as well.

I just didn't know if you knew that was a thing. You're welcome to DM me, I have a whole jar of coins at home that I'm happy to exchange with you for paper money. Just so you know they're all rare, because I currently have them and nobody else does.

And for anyone that is even still reading this nonsense that I'm writing, I'm just simply confused as to what point you're trying to make. You made an analogy that you paid a heap of money for a rare mistake.

So are you to suggest the CSL will be a rare mistake? Or are you hopeful that they will be defective?

I am just so confused and need some clarity before I can enter the weekend.

Please note this is fully rhetorical, and does not require a response, DM or anything else. It was simply put out there for others' reading pleasure.
Let me say from the get go, you cracked me up 🤣🤣

However, to shed some light on why I made the analogy, there is a select group of animals who pay stupid amounts of money for things that the non-select group, namely the rest of humanity, may never understand.

This select group is also known as "the collectors". They value "rarity" above all. Someone who pays $1m for a pair of smelly shows just because Michael Jordan wore it happens to be one of those rare animals. That's why I paid $7500 for the coin that two months later I sold for $13500

There aren't many of us, but those who know, will pay any money (like $300k for a M4CSL in Australia) because there will be so very few of them - I'm speculating here but 1000 or less M4 CSL specimen worldwide, 20 or less in Australia, leaves very little option for those who missed out - covet for the rest of your life, or pay the premium.

In my case, if lucky to get one, it'll be passed onto my son, at which time, he can do whatever he chooses to do with it when he gets it. Until then, I'll have a great time everytime I drive it every so often, knowing I've got one of only 20 specimen of potentiality the finest car in the current BMW lineup in the entire country.

To clarify, rarity must not be confused with scarcity. There could be 10,000 CSLs - they're no longer as rare as they would be if there were only 1000. However, if 10,000 people own them, and love them so much that most would not sell theirs, then they become scarce even if not rare.

Years ago, an investor bought a postage stamp for $1.5m and when he took delivery of it he took out a light and set it ablaze.

The astonished dealer who has sold it to him asked, why would you do that?! to which the purchaser replied "There were two known examples of this stamp known to exist to this day.

Now there is only one, and I own that one"

There is a very fine line between madness and genius, it just depends on your point of view 😉
This I can relate to. I paid 20k over an F80 comp for a 2018 F80 CS. Many here thought that was stupid. (The special parts and wheels alone were worth almost that but whatever). The fact that only 1200 were produced worldwide and only 550 of those were floating around the U.S made it worth to me. It's rare, unique, and special. And that made the premium worth it to me and then some.
Appreciate 2