EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
For DCTC, there's isn't much you need. The road surface is a bit abrasive so people complain about tire wear but that's not going to be a worry in February.

If you're planning on Brainerd before the baby arrives, I recommend an event with instruction if you don't have much track experience. There are some events that will let novices on track without any vetting of claimed experience. You might end up on track with fully prepped race cars and you will not have fun. Nord Stern PCA has their start of track season in end of April so that's worth looking into. The BIR PDS also has events on May 1st, 8th, 22nd, 26th, and 29th.

For Brainerd, the stock brakes will work perfectly well. There are two higher speed braking zones, but enough straights to let them cool off. The people wearing out brake pads in a day don't believe in cool down laps in a middle of a session. In 2021, I did two days in 95F temperatures before finding out on the third day that the front brake duct covers existed and should be removed for optimal cooling. Front pads had plenty of life left after that weekend but rears were worn down quite a bit. Stock brake fluid as well.

There are track pads options but unless you're tracking multiple events per year, their expense can wait. I purchased a set of take off brake pads on the forum and have those as a backup. That's my recommendation if you're only going to do one or two events this year. With a 2023 and no track events yet, your stock fluid will be good enough as well. Otherwise brake fluid like Motul RBF660 or Endless RF-650 will be more [...]
Thank you for the very thorough response, it’s really helpful when trying to make sense of all the info here on the forums. It’s especially helpful when discussing specific tracks and their needs. I’ll take a look into what sessions I can do at BIR with an instructor before the baby arrives (I don’t imagine having a lot of time for me after that).

I probably should have tried the helmet on prior to ordering but fingers crossed that my measurements are okay and I don’t have to return it.

It sounds like I could start the season completely stock and not run into any real issues. If it were you, would you remove the front brake duct covers in advance? I’m torn on whether I would want to remove them and leave them off for daily driving.

Thanks for the pads/fluid recommendations as well, I’ll save those for future purchases.
Appreciate 0