Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
Ximian,

I’m reading through the general track chat and there is a lot of great info I’m reading about. I see that you are pretty active over there as well and I wanted to get your thoughts on how I should prepare for the track. There are a lot of options and it’s somewhat daunting to try and decide what I need to do.

I’m hoping to run as stock as possible the first time out so I can set a baseline and learn what mods I like or dislike. Is there anything I should absolutely do just from a safety perspective? While reading through some of the threads, it seems that the stock break pads won’t hold up more than one day? I’m planning to go over to Orr Autosport to get their thoughts as well on brake fluid or any other necessary items.

Helmet is ordered and should be shipped here soon! All this warm weather lately has me PUMPED!
For DCTC, there's isn't much you need. The road surface is a bit abrasive so people complain about tire wear but that's not going to be a worry in February.

If you're planning on Brainerd before the baby arrives, I recommend an event with instruction if you don't have much track experience. There are some events that will let novices on track without any vetting of claimed experience. You might end up on track with fully prepped race cars and you will not have fun. Nord Stern PCA has their start of track season in end of April so that's worth looking into. The BIR PDS also has events on May 1st, 8th, 22nd, 26th, and 29th.

For Brainerd, the stock brakes will work perfectly well. There are two higher speed braking zones, but enough straights to let them cool off. The people wearing out brake pads in a day don't believe in cool down laps in a middle of a session. In 2021, I did two days in 95F temperatures before finding out on the third day that the front brake duct covers existed and should be removed for optimal cooling. Front pads had plenty of life left after that weekend but rears were worn down quite a bit. Stock brake fluid as well.

There are track pads options but unless you're tracking multiple events per year, their expense can wait. I purchased a set of take off brake pads on the forum and have those as a backup. That's my recommendation if you're only going to do one or two events this year. With a 2023 and no track events yet, your stock fluid will be good enough as well. Otherwise brake fluid like Motul RBF660 or Endless RF-650 will be more than enough. Not entirely a fan of Castrol SRF because it can be a bit corrosive if left long term, but that's what's currently in my track car until I switch to Endless fluid this spring.

For track pads, CarboTech, Hawk, Porterfield, and Endless have compatible options. It looks like Cobalt Friction had track pads last year, but they're revising it so it's not yet available. There's other options and some reviews on the track forums. I'm sure there will be more in a couple of months once track season heats up.

Chris has a great team at Orr Autosport and they're the only place I trust with track tech inspections. They'll have great advice as well.

The final thing is for helmets, it's best to try them on first. I ordered an HJC helmet last year after measuring my head multiple times and confirmed it would fit. After it arrived and a I tried it on, instant headache. Only place we have that I know of that sells Snell rated helmets is Speedy Race Gear in St. Paul. They also do helmet rentals through RaceSuitRental.com but you get a discount if you pick it up and drop off in the store as the shipping isn't necessary.