translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Pete View Post
Update here after 844 miles:

I got the CDV Delete done! I like the clutch feel much better now. It seems more direct and natural now, less "different" than the 718. But still fairly different, the difference is more tolerable now. I did the method of just swapping the Clutch Slave Cylinder with an E9x one, versus taking the stock one apart and removing the CDV. (I didn't do it, I had a local shop do it.)

It helps with the 1-2 shift under moderate throttle and at lower RPMs (less than 3500-4000), but the 1-2 shift at higher throttle and higher RPMs is still difficult IMO. I think it is a Rev Hang thing? Sometimes I nail it, but sometimes I botch it. When I do botch it is still very frustrating, but it does not happen now NEARLY as much as it did before the CDV Delete. Before the CDV Delete I was considering selling the car and getting something different, quite honestly. Now I find it much tolerable and I am hopeful I get even more used to it and it will be fine.

I may still "upgrade" later (next Winter?) to an M3 Competition with XDrive, but I am more confident now that I will be happy with this car for the foreseeable future.

Beyond the 1-2 shift that still annoys me a little, the car is pretty darn great! I took it for a spirited country road drive today, and it was a blast. This car is a beast when you are hustling it. The shifts from 2nd through 5th are great, and fun when driving in a spirited fashion. Going through turns in second gear and pushing it the rear end moves around quite a bit, in a great way, but with the nannies on it still stays completely in control. Great fun!

The front end looks have REALLY grown on me. I love it now, looks wise. I really like that the M3 is completely different than the 3 Series, that is really cool that they did that. It gives the M3 its own identity, more so than previously. At least that's the way I experience it. I really like the M4 looks now too. Heck, I even like the i4 M50 looks now!

The interior is terrific. Very "high end" in feel and vibe, especially with the upgraded leather dash.

The standard Sport Seats are great, very comfortable. The driving position is fantastic. I can get nice and low, which I particularly like being used to that in the Cayman.

I like the Heads Up Display, especially with the Tach in M-Mode, but with my seat low the geometry doesn't work well for me, the Display is too high and interferes with where you typically look ahead at the road, so I turned it off for now. Also, it disappears almost completely when you wear polarized sunglasses, which I do often.

Those BMW Winter Wheels look awesome - quite frankly I like them better than any of the stock wheels, especially on my Black/Black car. (I got the standard 18/19" wheels, but I have never seen them on the car. They are Orbit Grey, I may get them powder coated to Satin Black to keep the all-Black look.)

Now that I am more comfortable that I am keeping it - let the mods begin!

First on my list is:
-Spacers (thanks everyone for posting all your pics of those - very helpful), I haven't decided which sizes yet
-Intake
-Exhaust - Not sure what yet, lots of options! It sounds okay stock, but it certainly could use a little more mojo

Of course also a SSK, once someone comes out with one...
May I ask who did the CDV work?
Also I'm sure you know this but you can adjust several perimeters of HUD including heigh and rotation.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0