12-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #43
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I agree with your point EV doesn't have the durability on track yet. At the same time it's hard to put practicality and putting up serious track time in the same sentence, so let's just separate the two.

The practical side of EV does not come from relying on external infrastructure for daily drive but charging at home. If you have a solar/battery system that's even better because you're energy independent from the grid. The reliance on infrastructure only comes into play on drive greater 200 miles and most people don't do that on daily basis.

I have not seen a gas station or waited in one for three years. I have not waste any time on maintenance at a dealership as well. Is EV perfect? Far from it, I still rent SUVs for road trips but as daily driver it's very convenient and dirt cheap to operate. I also wish Teslas are better engineered for quality than for production efficiency. For driving pleasure I am still on a hunt for GT4 or GT4RS, so I don't have to compromise. They will only go up in value at this point.
Well, personally I am not going to pay for the lacking infrastructure and I don't use my car for just a 10 mile commute

I do have solar but an average residential solar system isn't strong enough to charge an EV day in and day out year round. My property is lined by tall trees and doesn't get much sun anyway. The power has been out intermittently due to storms recently and on top of that my solar is totally useless now, it has been generating less than 10% past week. Imagine in an emergency in cold weather and a storm, what are you going to do if the battery is out... no thank you, I'll pass I'll go to the pump by my street corner and on be my way in less than a minute.

Last edited by speedmaster20d; 12-29-2021 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0