View Single Post
      12-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #39
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
I see abut M2 as a track car plus a 4-door car to run your errands, but still not cross shopping M3 vs. Tesla as you say from the price point of view alone....

even here in silicon valley, the center of the tech world the EV infrastructure is not quite developed enough to call them a practical family car day in and day out. Can a stock Tesla do many laps around a serious track to put down a respectable time? I am not an EV expert and don't really follow the latest but I have seen very few at the track and they were all highly modified, even so owners said they would overheat after a couple of laps and times were still not that great...

I agree with your point EV doesn't have the durability on track yet. At the same time it's hard to put practicality and putting up serious track time in the same sentence, so let's just separate the two.

The practical side of EV does not come from relying on external infrastructure for daily drive but charging at home. If you have a solar/battery system that's even better because you're energy independent from the grid. The reliance on infrastructure only comes into play on drive greater 200 miles and most people don't do that on daily basis.

I have not seen a gas station or waited in one for three years. I have not waste any time on maintenance at a dealership as well. Is EV perfect? Far from it, I still rent SUVs for road trips but as daily driver it's very convenient and dirt cheap to operate. I also wish Teslas are better engineered for quality than for production efficiency. For driving pleasure I am still on a hunt for GT4 or GT4RS, so I don't have to compromise. They will only go up in value at this point.