Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't consider a Model 3 Perf even if it eventually managed to be faster than an M xDrive car. For all the reasons that have been hashed before (handling, build quality, etc), but also because it's safer to drive a louder car.

People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too.

Pull up in a Model 3 and you might as well have appeared out of nowhere.
Yes, I think everyone on the highway can hear your ASD from a mile away.
Well, in all 'loud' cars I've driven, people cruising along at 55 mph in a 60 where the rest of the traffic does 70 do seem to wake up and move out of the way. If you're holding north of 3000 rpm cruising 'gently' (easily possible in D3 or S3), the car's not quiet on the outside.

I easily know when just a 340i is leaving and entering my neighborhood when I'm 80-100 feet away from it deep inside my home with all windows closed. I only know when a Model 3 Perf is leaving when I'm literally standing in my driveway and I see it or hear the fake whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
This is not a problem with EVs, this is you driving recklessnessly on public roads. Take it to a track where people are actually racing you and not taking their kids to school.
Did my dismissal of the Model 3 (and its Perf variant) rub you the wrong way?

By extension of your logic, electric cars shouldn't have that artificial noise at low speeds then because surely pedestrians can't be absent-minded right? It's those reckless electric car owners that need nannies. /s

Noise that catches people's attention and causes them to be alert = good for safety. Even with zero recklessness (on the part of the car generating the noise) in the picture.
I think his point was based on your statement "People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too."

That just reads to me "I drive like a **** on public roads and scream up behind people but with a loud car they get out of my way". I could be wrong, but there are quite a few people like that on the road that give BMW drivers a bad name. That's what the track is for
This could be a regional thing but there are a ton of oblivious people in the Pacific Northwest who drive below the speed limit in the *passing lane* and hold up traffic. Sometimes two/three of these people find each other and drive side by side in a rolling roadblock.

I find these issues resolve themselves when I'm in a louder car. It's pretty obvious when I drive my X5 in electric mode and get blocked. And then I switch to sport and downshift, and they realize there is someone behind them and move aside.

To be transparent, sometimes I come across the truly driving-challenged and they don't get out of the passing lane like they are *legally required to*. I acknowledge I overtake them on the right at the first opportunity in a lower gear than I need to, accelerating faster than I need to. Often I see them then move aside for all the other people still stuck behind them.
Passing on the right is fully legal. Just do that instead.

I've long since stopped caring about left lane hogs. I just pass on the right and go about my way.

And 50+% of times they do get the hint and move over to other people who are unaware of laws/play it safe.
Appreciate 0