View Single Post
      11-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #1288
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
About that right turn thing: Driver making a right turn is SUPPOSED to turn into the closest lane. On a 2-3 lane road, I'm always tempted to make my left turn onto that same road ASSUMING the right-hander will go into the correct lane.

IF we smack, who is at fault? Or is it shared since I didn't ensure that lane was available?
When making a left turn you should turn into the left lane if it's a multi lane road you are turning onto. When making a right turn onto a multi lane road you turn into the right or curb lane. If these two events are happening at the same time there should be now issue, the problem always occurs when one of the drivers wants to move to the right or left shortly after the turn, so that's what you are talking about, and you can't move into another lane that is already occupied unless it is safe to do so. Having said that, there was an intersection close to where I used to live, and just past if for those turning left or right going southbound was an on ramp to the highway on the right hand side, about 80% of the folks making the left turn would turn straight into the curb lane. If they hit someone they'd be at fault. I was always careful to stay in the curb lane and also watch out for them because it seemed many weren't watching out for me.
Appreciate 0