11-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #1276
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
A past encounter I had, was it justifiable?

While my E60 was in the shop, the shop owner let me borrow his older M5 for my daily commute since my E60 was going to be in the shop for about 2 weeks getting mods installed as well as new bearings. I did a cash transaction with the owner and on the night before I was set to pickup my E60, I went to the ATM around the corner from my house to collect more funds (2 different accounts in total $800.00). While pulling out from 7-11 at/around 9:00pm, I noted a police officer about a block away parked (looking for violators) in the medium where I was turning on to. By default I always come to a dead stop at stop signs (no rolling stops since I was t-bones a few years ago and totaled my car; no my fault for reference; guy ran his stop sign) and since I saw the officer sitting there, I even recall counting to 2 or 3 seconds before I turned onto the road. Made a left hand turn about 400feet from pulling out from 7-11 and was quickly pulled over. After being greeted at the window by the officer and her seeing the $800 on the passenger seat she stated I was pulled over for a possible drug transaction in which she said she saw someone hand me something as I exited 7-11 and not stopping at the stop sign and then collected by drivers license/owners registration and insurance card and returned to her patrol car. I did note there as a younger lady hanging out front of 7-11 but didnt even look twice or speak to her. Nor could the patrol car see this area from where she was parked. After about 5 minutes of sitting in the car, 2 other police cars showed up all with lights on. Original officer was parked behind me, 1 pulled in front of me, and one at the rear corner panel of the loaner car. I was asked to step out, walk backwards to the rear and they placed me in handcuffs at the rear of the M5. Then a K9 unit arrived and did a sweep of the M5 as well as officers searching inside. I had to show them how to open the center console as they could not figure it out. I was informed that the K9 hit on something and the mood of the officers quickly changed to more aggressive questioning/mood. After about 30-45 minutes of being in handcuffs, they said all was clear and let me go.

I felt this was an unjustified stop/search and I contacted my local Police station the following day to question it. A few days later I received a call from a Sergent (I believe) and apologized about the event and noted that this area is known for drug trafficking. Really...i've lived in this same area/subdivision (which is about 1/2 mile from 7-11...if that) for over 20years.

A cliff note to this: informed my wife that I was running upto 7-11 real quick and to keep an eye on my 1yr old son. Not being allowed to call her for from my stand point on an unwarranted stop REALLY pissed me off.

Whats our kind Officers in this thread take on this?
2006 BMW M5
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50