View Single Post
      11-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #1260
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Is highway patrol presence light lately or is it just me? I just drove 1,700 miles in 24 hours, including fuel stops and a quick nap. You can imagine what kind of speeds I was able to hold at times, road surface and slow vehicles in the left lane permitting. I didn't see many cops, and 90% of them were marked on Waze. The fact that I didn't get pulled over in 20+ hours of speeding seems odd, since I didn't dare to go more than 9 over the limit before in my home state of NY (LI).

PS: impressive fuel economy cruising at 90+ MPH with hundreds of pounds of cargo.

PSS: saw a car stopped on the side of the highway. On a level, straight stretch of road. At night. Charger taillights visible a mile away... I would imagine that officer issued 0 tickets that shift.
I've noticed a decline on LEOs along the highways as well.

When I was younger, I drove my first car (a used 95 Accord) up and down the I95 traveling to and from my parent's house and first duty station almost every month. That car couldn't go over 90 MPH without feeling unstable if I remember correctly, so I would get pulled over constantly by various State Highway patrol officers a bit more frequently than I'm proud of. Going about 80-85 MPH in 65MPH zones.

Fast forward to present day, now I'm driving either an X6M or 1299s at "slightly" higher speeds when I travel from my current duty station to visit family and this year it seems like the route is definitely les patrolled than in previous years.

Maybe traffic monitoring apps are helping out more, or LEOs are just spread thin during these difficult times. Maybe a combination of both or more factors.

While I can admit I get to enjoy my toys a bit more recently... I hope it's not at the expense of our Police forces' safety and well being.

Now here's a question... do those "Photo Enforced" speed zones capture and ticket EVERY vehicle going faster than the posted limit...?

I try to keep my speedometer at no more than 5 over when I encounter those zones (learned my lesson a couple times) but even when I try to flow with traffic, I just have to more to the right and let countless cars pass me atmich higher speeds.

Is the camera really capable of tagging multiple cars in a cluster like that?