04-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #104
Dimitri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I had a 2008 E60 M5 for 7 years and sure it sounded so cool, but the rest of the time, it wasn't all that great. It was a compromise. I couldn't drive further than 250 miles before needing to get gas so that was frequent and annoying. If I drove it on the streets only, then I'd have to get gas after 150 miles. It gets old folks. Nobody wants to keep going to the station and plunking down $60-70 every 2-3 days. I'd average 8-12mpg in the city and if I was lucky 16-18 max on the fwy. Could anyone pull on me in 3rd of 4th gear from 100mph? Nope. Was it worth it. Nope. That's just gas mileage. The car needed Ferrari like maintenance and when the idle throttle acutauators went out, damn, that was a quick $1600x2. Then there was always the threat of the SMGIII pump dieing. There's another $7k. Then there's the rod bearings...need I go on?

When the F80 came out, it was a no brainer to upgrade. Same-ish power, way more low end grunt, more reliability, more sporty, about the same size as an E39 M5 (the perfect M car), so it was VERY easy to move on. So happy that BMW moved away from that NA V10. It was just way too over the top for a BMW and nobody wants to deal with that level of maintenance outside of warranty.

So yeah, I can say with experience that some people on here might say they love the F1 V10 sound (I know I loved it), but the trade offs are many and none of them are worth it unless you have close to unlimited bankroll to keep one to drive 1-2x a week. Plus when driving it, you literally have to keep the revs up to have some semblance of power, which is cool at first, but then makes you look like you're constantly trying to race everyone and that is lame, unless you are like 16 years old.
I have a buddy of mine that just picked up a NA V12 (hand made engine) Aston Martin Rapide AMR, 1 of 210 in the world. In a month it already has been to the dealer 3 times for various engine related issues. Great when it works!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0