06-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #66
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarifast View Post
My 18 F80 had 11 miles on delivery
My 20 F82 had 30 miles on delivery (was swapped in from a dealer about 20 miles away)

The dealership has to do a "PDI" (pre delivery inspection) before delivering the car. This involves the mechanic taking the car out of transport mode, changing the tire PSI from 50PSI (to prevent dead spots during transport) to whatever the recommended PSI setting is, they also place a test call to make sure BMW Assist is up and running, and typically they also have to road test the vehicle. For most dealerships, their test driving route is between 5-10 miles.

After the mechanic completes the PDI, the vehicle is sent to detailing. They remove any left over protection films used during transport and they detail the car. After that either your salesman or a dealership valet drive the car to a nearby gas station to get you your full tank of gas.

In some cases, dealers have off site storage lots, depending on the distance (the one my local dealer has is like 20 miles away), could be the explanation for extra miles on the car.

In a nutshell, you car would likely have 10-50 miles on it before delivery due to the reasons above. If it was swapped in, it could have a lot more on it, I think the rule of thumb is if its up to a 4-5 hour drive to get the car, they just have it driven in. Longer than that, they have it flat bedded in.
This! We also should take into account the production location for the vehicle. You can safely assume a person on the east coast of the US and definitely the south will have less miles on a Spartanburg built car since mostly likely they will receive their vehicle via truck or train. The west coast VPC receives all their cars via ship even Spartanburg cars and I think the Mexican made 3ers too. When arriving on ships, you have to consider the distance from the port to the VPC, which level the car is stored on in the ship (which varies based on the load for that voyage to keep the ship balanced), and even the size of the ship. Some car carrier ships are bigger than others. However, I think I would start to complain with anything over 20-30 miles.
Appreciate 0