04-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #37
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
They're going to have to do some trickery with the speakers to get it to sound anywhere near the W205 V8 (Pre OPF). MB isn't developing anymore ICE so the only choice was hybridize the M177 (packaging issues since the W206 platform was engineered from the start as 4 banger only) or the M139. I read on AMG lounge Tobias Moer was so pissed, he stormed out the product planning meeting and left AMG for Aston lol ....I'm sure the 206 AMG be something else but it'll be a hard pass for me...Merc doesn't do as good of 4 bangers as Audi/VW.
As some said about the beaver face, not sure how you can write this off without seeing & driving it. If MB doesn't do good 4 bangers like Audi/VW as you say, then this is a mighty fine job! 450 hp out of a 2L Inline 4 is about as impressive as it gets. That's as much as the F8x CP. As for the sound, they don't have to do trickery to make it sound like the W205. To compete with the G8x, they just have to get close to the S58 sound which is a lower bar.

The technology behind this is next level (as Raz said in that RBR video, a generation ahead of the G8x). With so much new tech, reliability may be an issue but we'll see. It'll be interesting to see how all this put together will perform, especially that +100hp 10s boost. It's going to be heavier than the G8x so we'll see how all this translates in the real world. It's going to be a very interesting H2H against the M3/4. Can't wait!
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00