vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Those who work on their homes - what is one thing you wouldn't ever do yourself?
I would never change the in-tank lift pump in our septic system. Pew!!!
Fortunately, my DW worked as a sewage treatment plant operator among the careers on her resume, so she handled that repair a few years ago while I provided support...from several towns away...upwind.

Over the years, I have done everything on a house from shingles down to well pumps. The one thing that I would leave to tradespeople if I had to do it again is laying a foundation. My old man built his own house as GC right after I got out of college, and fired the masons after three courses of cinderblocks because they weren't laying the blocks level enough for his liking. The framers were scheduled to start in less than two weeks, and our entire family wound up being masons for two weekends and the week between them. Hauling blocks into the pit in a wheelbarrow, heaving them up onto a scaffold platform, mixing the cement and hauling it in another wheelbarrow as needed. Not complex work, but extremely labor-intensive especially when working full-time jobs at the same time.....