View Single Post
      05-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
While not the GTS 4.0, I went from F80 to 981 Cayman as a year-round, single-car DD (well, besides having my wife's car to use at times) and it was doable for my needs. Since I didn't have a locking diff in my Cayman, traction in the snow with winter tires was alright but worse than any of the rwd M cars I've had; but again that's mainly due to having an open diff. I'm sure the GTS 4.0 on proper snows will be decent. I was also on X73 suspension which is 20mm lower than stock and had no issues with ground clearance, but I was also careful and don't have a lot of hills/steep driveways to maneuver. I think it would've been more of a struggle if we didn't have my wife's civic to use to transport bigger items/the dog. But the Cayman is pretty practical when it comes to grocery runs and such.

I'm still contemplating this very decision and I would for sure buy the 718 since Porsches lease horribly. You'll most likely lose less money on the 718 vs G8x if/when time to sell.

Way different personalities, though. The Cayman platform is fun because of the layout and how well it handles and rotates. I found myself les inclined to hang the rear out and drive it neatly as opposed to my M cars where I tend to hoon it more often. It really is tough to beat the well-rounded nature of the M3 for an everyday car, though.
Agree with all of this.

If I had a wife with a nice CUV to haul shit in then I'd probably have a cayman or 911 or whatever. But I need the ultimate one car garage, and that's the M3.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00