View Single Post
      04-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

G8X vs 718 GTS 4.0

Ok seriously how do we not have this as a formal thread yet. Lots of back and forth on other threads for sure. So let's debate the merits and shortcomings of considering M3/M4 to Cayman GTS 4.0.

I'm undecided if I want M3 vs M4 but I do know I want xDrive. I grow weary of RWD traction issues in the long wet winter months but with my AWD builds into $90k+ territory, I'm at least exploring a minimal options GTS 4.0.

Does the mid-rear engine mounting make RWD traction better than front engined RWD traction? I know that Porsche 4.0 is special and while not as potent as S58, it comes in a lighter package so maybe equal performance if not planning to tune.

Cost is tough to figure out. Cayman GTS 4.0 with only premium pack and PDK (my preference) is about $96k. My M3 xDrive build is $91k. Right now that M3 leases for about $1200/mo without much in the way of discounts. That will change over time. From what I can tell the Porsche probably leases similarly but will be very unlikely to have any discounts. It should also depreciate less if bought out after 3 years and very likely will be worth more than residual at lease end.

Availability is another story. Can you even get a 718 GTS for MSRP or less in the next year? The engine recall is certainly a problem that will take considerable time to remedy.

So who is going for a GTS 4.0 over choosing a G8X? Would love to hear about it.
Appreciate 0