View Single Post
      10-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #288
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

I'm not a bmw fan I just wanted a V8, manual, hard top convertible and the only one that met my criteria happens to be an e93 M3. By many standards it's not a "true" "m" car. Ok, whatever. Are my feelings hurt, lol, no. Do you feel better? I hope so.

That being said. I was told that M cars came about due to the races and race rules BMW was involved in. In order for them to race the car they had to have it in production and produce a certain amount of cars for the public. So BMW said fine, we don't want to deal with it but the big wig did and they said ok you can have your toy but keep it out of our hair, here's the car you get to use, do what you want and let us know if you wanna have lunch or something. Fast forward and the rules changed or loosened up and the M cars were a little more popular than BMW expected so they became more involved and started to have more lunches and dinners and maybe even a few one night stands with the M brand. Now they're in a full fledged dysfunctional marriage fighting over who does more laundry than the other one. M took off and merged into the main brand of BMW. And now we get watered down cats that are sort of race cars but designated for soccer moms and snotty middle aged men.

If this is true and I don't know if it is but I'm sure someone will correct me and belittle me for not caring or knowing what I'm talking about then none of us have TRUE M cars. unless you have one of the OG race cars, do you? Then you just have a car with a few cool features and a little logo on the trunk with 3 very cool contrasting colors.

M sport, CSL, fender flairs, humps on the hood, whatever, all you have is a car with a logo, no heritage or history just marketing lead by bean counters who are all just wanting to make a profit.
Appreciate 0