11-16-2022, 12:21 PM   #55
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea70 View Post
I'll start by saying - I'm going out with a "last ICE" blaze of glory - got a 23 M5C inbound in a few weeks that is absolutely loaded to the gills. I'm purchasing instead of leasing because I keep telling myself - last ICE, this is the keeper. (and I love everything about the F90).

That said (and for background, we have a Tesla in our garage to). I'm really intrigued by hybrids right now. I live in an urban area - metro Orlando. 90 percent of my trips are within 5-6 miles of my home, I don't commute to the office much any more. Do I take a second here and there in my local trips to enjoy the go pedal? Heck yes. However, 95 percent of the trip is stop and go, lights, etc. And so in this case - using battery power for that part of the trip actually makes a lot of sense.

Then, when it's time to play (or go on a family trip to the beach or whatever) the lovely S68 is there to carry you along and you can swing into any gas station and reload in just a few minutes.

I've been thinking lately - I wonder if in 10 years we're going to pull back from EV - not because it's not a good idea, but the infrastructure at least in the US is just not there yet (nor are the charging times acceptable).

And so - if that happens, and Hybrid is a way for us gear heads to still get our V8 happy noises and make the regulators happy - well then why not.

I'm pretty sure BMW isn't going to let the G90 out of the barn if it performs worse than the F90 in any category.
True, but seeing as it's a performance hybrid I'm pretty sure once both motors are engaged (in other words, not driving short distance on full EV mode) it will be nearly as bad as f90s on gas with the s68. If that happens in 10 years, hopefully also with lower gas prices I think both f90s and g90s will still be a great option to have at that time but at least f90s will be a less complex drivetrain and less things to break over time.
Appreciate 0