First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
I can't help but think this growth in tyre width between generations is compensation for needing to carry more weight and therefore manage understeer.

It is no doubt going to be a faster car than previous M3/4's on track but is it going to be so at the expense of being an enjoyable road car? I.e. tram lining, aqua planing, being more difficult to park with poor steering feedback?

Lotus Elise has 175/55/R16 fronts and 225/45/R17 rears and carries unbelievable corner speed on a track as well as giving great steering feel, a result of its low weight and being mid-engined.

Mclaren 720S too has a relatively narrow 245/35/R19 on the front and 305/30/R20 rear and is known for good steering feel as well as having crazy power. Both cars have a philosophy of managing their weight carefully and are on bespoke platforms that enable this goal.

By contrast the Camaro ZL1 1LE is a monster with 305 front sections tyres and owners talk about the difficulties as a road car that brings (admittedly its a track car not on a bespoke platform).

Big, wide front tyres don't always make a great road car and can bring their own compromises that need to be engineered around.

I am looking forward to reviews on the G8x to understand what these trade offs are in the real world as a road car.
I think the increased width is for the lateral grip numbers game and lap times. I am pretty sure that 255 was already more than wide enough for the front axle for street use, even with the weight increase. For sure, there are real downsides to massively wide tires on the street.
Agree.

The F8x was generally seen as slightly wild at launch and BMW tamped it down with software updates over the years and then revised some hardware and released the competition pack.

These changes improved the car (I did the iStep update and it certainly reduced the spikey-handling). Reviewers of early cars complained about this "spikey" behaviour in the wet and were more complementary of later models (even none comp models) so it worked. Maybe BMW took an exciting calibration too far for the initial launch and then gently rolled it back?

My prediction for the G8x reviews is probably the opposite of what was written for the F8x:

"+ new M3 is a much faster machine with nicer interior and tech that grabs more attention...

- ...but it's ride and handling limits are too high to enjoy on the road."
Appreciate 0